Thursday, September 15, 2011

Zurich, Switzerland

Somehow, when I booked my flight to Africa, I managed to get a 22 hour layover in Zurich.  I was quite excited actually.  I booked a hotel in downtown Zurich, and luckily got to spend an entire afternoon exploring the city.  So here are seven things about my seven hours sightseeing Zurich, in random order.

Number 1:  Zurich is the cutest city ever!  Those of you who know me well, know how I feel about things that are cute!  Needless to say, I am in love with Zurich.  The majority of the streets in Old Town Zurich are cobblestone and pedestrian only.  There are tons of little outside cafes and shops.  Place that against the backdrop of Lake Zurich and the Alps....you really can't get much cuter than that.


Number 2:  The public transportation system is amazing!  It is easy to navigate, clean, and fast!  I took the train from the airport to the downtown train station, and then a tram from the train station to my hotel with no problems at all.  I used the trams several more time today to get around the city.  I love a good public transportation system!

Number 3:  As easy to navigate as the public transportation system is, trying to walk around Old Town with a map in hand is just about impossible!  As my family will tell you, I have a great sense of direction (right, guys?!?!).  But as cute as these streets are, they are about as wide as sidewalks and curve every which way until you are completely disoriented.  Good thing I had the river and lake as guides or I may still be wandering around the adorable streets of Zurich!


Number 4:  This place has some weird bathrooms.  I went ahead and took a photo of one for you.  If you can't tell, this is a combo uninal, toilet, and sink.  How impressive is that!!!


Number 5:  I discovered that my new camera takes panoramic photos!!  I was super excited about this development, as Zurich is definitely a panoramic city.


Number 6:  At the airport train station, I was able to buy a ticket called the Zurich Card which included unlimited public transportation for 24 hours, plus free admission to all the museums and a free boat ride on Lake Zurich.  Obviously I was going to take advantage of the free boat ride, but museums hadn't exactly been on my agenda for my one day in Zurich.  However, I could hear my mother's voice in the back of my head pleading me to go to some museums (especially since I skipped most of the historic churches, her personal favorite), and since they were free anyway, I figured I would check out one or two.  Preferably one.  So I chose the Swiss Watch and Clock museum as my top choice, and it was actually quite interesting (and pretty small too, which was an added bonus).  The Swiss History Museum was my back-up choice if I had time for it at the end of the day.  However, it just so happens that every other day of the week, the Swiss History Museum closes at 5:00pm, but on THURSDAYS, it stays open until 7:00pm.  I figured this must be a sign, so as I stolled by at 5:45, I decided to go in and check it out for a few minutes.  Aren't you proud, Mom???


Number 7:  Zurich has to be one of the most friendly and trusting places that I have ever been to!  I have numerous examples of this.  First, as I eluded to in number 3, I had to stop and ask for directions a few (many) times.  Not only am I lucky that most people speak English here, but everyone who I asked was super friendly and helpful.  The people here are lovely.  Second, as I stated in number 6, I had one train ticket that was good for all trains and trams for 24 hours.  I have thus far ridden on the train or tram four times, and not once has anyone asked to see my ticket!!  Or anyone's ticket for that matter.  You just walk right up and get on, and people just trust that you paid your way.  And finally, many people ride bikes here, and outside of every main building, there are hundreds of bikes....and none of them are locked up!!!!  Okay, that's a lie, I did see some locked up, but seriously way less than half!  I saw hundreds of bikes unlocked on the streets everywhere.  And for a girl who has an extreme paranoia about her bike getting stolen (and who's had some pretty bad luck in that area too!), you can imagine my shock.  I totally want to move here!!

3 comments:

  1. Elizabeth - I had to say hi and that I got a tiny little smile at your comment about sense of direction... I recall our difficulties navigating the streets of Montreal together and the fact that I may or may not have threatened to make you ride in the trunk, lol.... sorry about that. Anyway I'm excited to hear about your sabbatical adventures! Have fun!
    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in Zurich for two years... fell in love, and want to move back again some day. Everything you said is completely correct. :)

    ReplyDelete