Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Similarities and Differences

I recently read (and unfortunately watched the movie) Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.  Despite the fact that many of my friends recommended it to me, saying things like "This is the perfect time in your life to read this book!!" I didn't really like it that much.  However, I do like the idea.  Elizabeth Gilbert and I have about two things in common.  Number one: our first names.  Number two:  We both decided to take a year off from our lives to do something completely different.  That is pretty much where the similarities end.


Unlike Gilbert, when I decided to take a year off to travel, volunteer, and study, I was actually quite happy with my life.  Despite some frustrations with my job (I teach special education for the Chicago Public Schools, what did I expect??), I was pretty happy.  I have a supportive family (who finally believe that I am actually going!!) and awesome friends and co-workers.  I really decided to go on this trip because it was something I have always wanted to do, I think it will be fun and exciting, and I hope that taking a year off from my job will restore the energy and passion that I started teaching with. 

I started seriously saving money for this trip about a year ago, because unlike Gilbert, nobody was going to give me a bunch of money for my potential book!! :)  However, it turns out that CPS is going to give me a bunch of money, as they recently approved my sabbatical application.  This is probably the first time in my seven year teaching career that I have truly wanted to give CPS a heartfelt THANK YOU!!!

So now, after almost a year of planning and saving, I am almost ready to go!!  But of course, this summer brought two small dark clouds to my sunny sky of excitement.  First, my baby (my dog Maya) was diagnosed with congestive heart failure at the end of June.  Although she is staying in the loving home of my sister, she may not be here to welcome me home after the first leg of my journey.  Second, completely the opposite of poor Elizabeth Gilbert who was escaping a divorce and a failed relationship, I started dating someone this summer who I actually really like (shocking for anyone who knows me!!)  It will be hard to say goodbye for a while, but they always say, "absence makes the heart grow fonder!"

3 comments:

  1. Love your blog :) I'm going to be a regular reader. Enjoy your trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear about Maya. Have a great trip. I can't wait to read your next post!

    ReplyDelete