Friday, September 30, 2011

Living in Tanzania


After a very smooth 5 hour bus ride, I arrived in Tanzania on Wednesday evening and was picked up at the bus station by a good friend here.  I arrived at our apartment and was very pleasantly surprised at how cute it is!  It is absolutely perfect for my 2 months here, and I love it already!

Our bedroom.  I sleep on the top :)

Shower, toilet, sink combo

Thanks Megan for a perfect present!!
Now as cute as the apartment is, it is missing a few luxuries from home.  But I'm sure I'll get used to it!  I do have my own little bathroom right next to the bedroom, and let me tell you, it is very efficient.  I can take a shower, pee, and brush my teeth at the sink all at the same time!  (I haven't actually done this, but I could!)  The squat toilet will take some getting used to, but the shower was actually pretty nice.  There is hot water, and all you really have to worry about is not accidentally stepping into the toilet!
Our kitchen is a bit different as well, but I'm not too worried about that since I don't plan to do much cooking!!  But I do miss my dishwasher!!  We have two gas burners, a little fridge, and a sink.  It's enough though.  I am very excited about the availability and price of produce here!  We got like 20 tomatoes for around $2!

Finally, I have been gone for just over 2 weeks now, and this morning I realized that I was down to my last pair of clean underwear.  So, I really had an experience this morning doing laundry!!  Let me tell you, I am going to be wearing my clothes a few more times before calling them dirty from now on!!  The little stuff like underwear and tee shirts are easy, but just try hand washing, rinsing, and drying towels, sweatshirts, and jeans!!
A daunting task!!

No comments:

Post a Comment