Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Monkeys, Giraffes, and Crocodiles: Up Close and Personal

A monkey in the backyard!
There are monkeys in my backyard!  I am staying with a friend here in Nairobi, and there are monkeys all over the place.  People can't even leave doors or windows open because the monkeys will come right in the house!  I love it!  I kind of wish one would come in the house :)  My room has a balcony facing the backyard, and I love to just stand out there and watch them.  They are so cute.  Actually, my accommodations here in Nairobi are quite excellent, and I am afraid that I am getting spoiled before I head to Tanzania!  We even have a microwave, which is really, really rare here!  Not to mention real toilets in every bathroom.  But my favorite part is definitely the backyard.

The view from my balcony
Yesterday, I got to feed giraffes and even got a couple of kisses at a giraffe sanctuary near Nairobi.  It was very cool and exciting.  They are such magnificent creatures, and it was amazing to be able to get so close to them and to touch them.  I think the pictures pretty much capture my excitement!  

Feeling a giraffe.
Getting a kiss!

A two and a half year old crocodile.
 Finally, I was not sure how "up close and personal" I was going to be able to get or even wanted to get with crocodiles, but it turned out that I did definitely invade their personal space!  Sorry Mom, I know this wasn't the safest thing to do, but I must have looked very brave because our guide actually let me get into the pen with several angry crocodiles!  If that was not enough, he encouraged me to actually bother one a bit to get a reaction!  I also got to hold a baby....with razor sharp teeth!!




No comments:

Post a Comment