Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I "heart" tours.

This title is not actually true.  I do not like tours.  And when I say tours, I mean very touristy, guided tours that you pay $50 or $100 for a day of "fun."  I almost always refuse to do them while traveling.  I would much rather explore myself and try to find more local places.  So I am not sure what gave me the idea to take a city tour of Puerto Vallarta today.  My mom recommended it, but I should have known not to listen to her because she LOVES tours!!  I also should have known that since I have been living in Puerto Vallarta since January, I probably have seen everything on the tour.  

Last week when I went to book my tour, the agent told me that if I listened to a timeshare presentation, I could go on the tour for free...plus have a free massage!!  So I spend my morning yesterday at a random hotel listening for two hours to someone trying to get me to buy a timeshare that I definitely wasn't even considering buying.  But the massage was nice.  And at least I didn't actually pay any money for the day of boredom today!

Our first stop was a small church in Pitillal, a cute little neighborhood about 20 minutes from downtown.  I was actually excited to visit this neighborhood, but my spanish teacher had told me last week how to get there on the city bus, and I should have just done that.  The church was our only stop!!  After about 10 minutes of picture taking, we got back on the bus to headed to a tequila distillery, where we had a quick presentation about how they make tequila and got to taste a few different kinds.  Now don't get my wrong, I really enjoyed my first tequila presentation back in February.  My second one with Louie was fun too.  And I even enjoyed my third one while Kellie and Joe were visiting.  But my fourth one was a little boring.  
Mariachi Band in church :)
So the day wasn't starting off very well.  Next, we headed to Old Town (a few blocks from my house) for an hour of shopping.  And not even fun market shopping, but "store" shopping.  Clearly this tour company has a deal with these store owners because I have checked out a LOT of shopping areas here in PV, and this was not the best one.  Not that I have any money to spend or any room in my suitcase to buy anything anyway!  And I definitely have all of the Mexican souvenirs that I need already.

Next we headed south to my favorite beach, Mismaloya.  This is the beach where Night of the Iguana with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton was filmed.  Parts of Predator were filmed here as well.  But as I stated before, Mismaloya is my favorite beach, so I have already been there several times.  And since nobody had their swimsuits, we only pulled over to get a view of the beach from the side of the road!  But at least I got to take a picture holding an iguana.  
We ate lunch at an expensive and super touristy restaurant, and I was a little nervous that I was going to have to eat alone, but fortunately, I had chatted with another single lady traveling by herself earlier in the tour, and we found each other, and had a really lovely lunch together, discussing the state of the world.  It was definitely the highlight of my tour.

We made one more stop along the road on the way home for another scenic overlook (which was pretty beautiful, but I have driven along that road like 10 times already), and headed back downtown.  I was getting a little worried that we weren't going to visit Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton's old houses which are connected with a bridge and that was the part of the tour that I was most looking forward to!!  So I asked the guide, and he told me that they don't go there any more because people have to walk up the hill (very steep) and some lady broke her leg once!!  But he told me that the house was downtown, and the bus could drop me off at the bottom of the hill if I wanted, and I could walk the 5 blocks uphill myself.  I said yes, and when the bus stopped, I realized that I was only about 2 blocks away from my own house!!  Yes, Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor's old houses are only about 4 blocks away from my own apartment!!  So I guess I could have done that on my own too.
The bridge between Richard's and Elizabeth's houses.

Anyway, at least I know that I did a great job of exploring Puerto Vallarta on my own, and this whole experience reaffirmed the fact that I am just not a big fan of guided tours.  When traveling, it is way more fun to just explore.



No comments:

Post a Comment