Sunday, March 11, 2012

One Day at a Time

While I was home for Christmas, my grandma asked me if I ever got homesick while I was traveling so much this year.  I answered yes, I did get homesick sometimes, but that's just part of being away from home.  And I always tell myself that the homesick feeling doesn't last, take one day at a time, and you will definitely feel better tomorrow.  In Africa, I was really only homesick a couple of times.  The first few days after I left were pretty bad, especially when my dog bit my sister in the face!!  I was also homesick on Mt. Kilimanjaro, since it was pretty miserable at some points, and I had no internet and very limited phone access!  Here in Mexico, I was homesick after my first week here when Maya and I moved into our own apartment, mostly because Maya was all excited because she thought that we were going home, and that made me sad.  I also get a little homesick when I know that all of my family or all of my friends are getting together for something special and I am missing it!

I am definitely homesick today, but I am going to allow myself to be since I think I have pretty good reasons.  First, I just got home from taking Louie to the airport after a wonderful 9 days together!  We did so many fun things together this past week, and it was so nice to have him here.  Although, as I predicted, it didn't really help my Spanish too much!!  It was really hard to say goodbye today, even though we will be together again in just 8 weeks.
Louie Maya and I today in Puerto Vallarta
Second, all of my family is together today, but not for a fun reason.  My grandma died this past week, and her wake and funeral are today and tomorrow.  My grandma was a really wonderful woman, and it is really sad for me to not be there to celebrate her life with my family right now, but I know that my family will be here visiting me in just 3 weeks from today, so I just keep focused on that.
My whole family with my Grandma at Christmas
Even when I am feeling a little homesick, I still know that this trip is a wonderful experience for me, and I am so lucky to have been able to do it.  I seriously cannot believe that I am nearing the end.  It is the middle of March already, and I will be home by the middle of May!  I'll be sad for my year of travels to be over, but I'll definitely be happy to be home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment